Header AD

How to Use EITHER and NEITHER Correctly


How to Use EITHER and NEITHER Correctly

The English words either and neither can cause some problems for native and non-native speakers of English. Sometimes you can use either one and sometimes you have to choose either one or the other, but neither one is very difficult..

▶ How to Use EITHER

  1.Either can also be followed by (one) of + group of two:

▪Either of us could do it.Either one of us could do it.
▪Either of you should know.Either one of you should know.

2. Either… or

Either… or is used to offer a choice between two possibilities:

▪Either John or Sophia will be there.
▪We should bring either tea or coffee.

3. Not… either… or denies both possibilities:

▪I don’t think either John or Sophia will be there.

4. Not… either is used after a negative statement.

▪I don’t speak English. You don’t either.

▶ How to Use NEITHER

1. Neither can also be followed by (one) of + group of two:

▪Neither of them is ready.Neither one of them is ready.
▪Neither of us has any money.
▪Neither one of us has any money.

2. Neither…nor

Neither… nor is equivalent to not… either… or.

▪Neither  John nor Sophia will be there.
▪We brought neither tea nor coffee.

3. Neither is used like not… either.

▪I don’t speak English. Neither do I – (informal): Me neither.


How to Use EITHER and NEITHER Correctly How to Use EITHER and NEITHER Correctly Reviewed by Pouomi Talukdar on January 30, 2020 Rating: 5

2 comments

Post AD